Thursday, May 07, 2009

Hardest Day's In Office

April 28th was one of the hardest days in office for my whole gang. Literally the 3 people who are under System Administration, Security Administration and Operations. When I got in to office at around 9am sharp, my friend told me 'JT your server got problem'. I was honestly very shock as there were no problems the day before.

Later I started to find out what is the problem and after having a fast breakfast, I started to work on the server. I know even though how much I try to avoid server problems, it will definitely come back to me as I am the server boy. Since that server is running Windows 2003 SBS (one of the most worst versions came out my Microsoft) I knew it was time to really resetup the whole server once again. I had to copy down the user ID's created, do backup to the system (lucky a little bit only) and go thru the settings that is done before. At the same time I had to report to Dell about the server and the best part is my call was answered by my own Utar Friend. It was good to talk to her as I got to taruh (friends way) her and her servers :P

After installing Window 2K3 Standard, the server had problems. I was major not happy about that. I had to reformat and reinstall Win 2K3 Enterprise. After installing it, I installed Panda Antivirus and after a restart, the server started to give me many problems AGAIN. I am now actually wondering if Panda Antivirus will cause the servers services to fail to load / slow to load during servers startup.

When the Dell engineer came, the part that he brought was acutally spoilt. I was then again not happy but I kept my cool as I knew it was not his fault or even my friends fault. The engineer tried his best to do what he could do under the supervision of the trainees (this time I was really tired and didnt bother to be in the server room). I even had to have 2 cups of coffee but it didnt work at all.

I have to say it was really hard day for me as at times some of the stuff I never encounted before I had to try to do which add's on to my knowledge which is a 2 thumbs up. But it was an extreme day as I was working like 200% and the server was up. But the only issue that still plays around is if the server is working nicely. I ended my work at around 830pm feeling so physically tired and hungry.

I actually installed Symantec on Thursday and the Windows Services failed to load too. Now I have a big thing to think about as I am not sure if Panda Antivirus did cause the 1st issue or not. Before this when I installed Symantec it was working fine, but seems something has cause the servers to perform in a weird way once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home