Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Nation That Complains

I believe most of you know I am working as security engineer and system administrator. I bet all of you know it is a really tough task too. After 2 months of working there + overnight, I felt today was the worst day. I don't want to put want to put our nations name also just in case anything happens to me.

I started work at 9am today and this morning when I was praying in the train + my own mind, was telling the Lord, "God help me to be hardworking today and help me to really serve my very best". God really gave me the best today. As I work at AEON, there are many branches in the whole nation. Today the whole nation kept on calling the BOG (Branch Operation Group) and IT department as the system was REALLY SLOW FROM 9-6pm.

The whole day I was just monitoring the system (printer server, as400, exchange server,reset password of both windows and as400). And my whole day was occupied doing all this + support to other departments. Worst time was after I came back from lunch, I saw quite a few papers on my table asking me to reset password. While resetting password, my other friends will call me to do this and that and tell me that the system is slow and which branch is complaining. I didn't really take action as it is normal for they system to be slow EVERYDAY. Can you imagine the system cpu from 9-6 is at 99.9%? It is total madness. It is the user who uses the system and they can ask us why the system is so slow. Worst is they call up and say that the receipt that they print cant come out. That is the most serious case. Even when I troubleshoot, there is nothing wrong with the system, but it is only slow. But users cant wait as most of the time they have customers in front of them.

Honest there is no way we can boost up the system. Yes we can but upgrading the system it will cost the company millions to upgrade the whole system and the telephone line. Even after 6pm, I had to support HQ and even the some of the other branches. When I was about to leave, my phone rang again! I did support that last call and told my other friend that I am leaving for home. If there is any support I will only do it tomorrow.

Actually tomorrow half of my day will be in IBM attending a talk. I think my friend will have a tough time tomorrow troubleshooting the system if there are any problems. Worst thing is there is only 1 administrator working and I will only come in at 2pm. As for my night shift, well I guess it hasn't ended. After this problem, on Saturday I will need to have a meeting with my boss + the rest of the administrators to find the best solution to fix the problem. We cant afford to have a down time as we in the IT department will get shoot and the best is our company dinner is on Saturday. I guess if the system is screwed up abit for today and tomorrow, it wont be so nice for us working as administrators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home