Friday, September 21, 2007

People Confuse Of Future?

Well, I am going to talk about future of a person's job. I know at my age / freshie out of uni, people will be confused on what they really want to do in their life. I am going to count the age of coming out of uni is about 22/23 years old. There might be some of you a little bit slower but that doesn't matter. I know that at the age, most of us will wonder what we should really start or career path. Some of us might start out by doing technical support /phone support, programmer,web page designer, administrators (what ever system, wintel, as400, linux), network engineer and many more.

I was just chatting with a couple of my friends, some of them are you as you read my blog and they told me that at a certain age, you will know what you really want to be focus in. Example for my case, currently I am doing Security Administrator in my company, I actually can choose to become windows Administrator, As400 Administrator (not so strong in this) or even focus in security. But bear in mind, like my friend said, in my case, I can know 3, but I either can focus in 1 or 2 and know a bit of the other. Well I have to say I total agree on what my friend said. It will be a benefit being able to know more.

Then while I was having lunch with a friend of mine, I ask this friend, what would you like to do? This friend is a lot my senior and my friend told me not really sure. I was honest shocked as I thought usually at their age they will know what path they really want to head at. But then again I am not really shocked as my friend's confusion is due to the companies crap. They are forcing my friend to learn something my friend haven't really learn before. Actually I feel this is unfair as I believe if I am already at lets say 28/29 years old, I have my own direction and it is not really up to the company to ask me to do things I don't want. But then again my company they want every one to know everything but at the same time master of nothing which can be quite sad. Even though we might be quite focus (example like me as a security administrator), we still need to learn a lot of other things even though we are "suppose" to be focus .

I will just write a bit on what I am currently doing now in the company. Now I am doing spring cleaning to AD (creating + disabling ID, Doing Policy), Email Server (checking scanmail, email logs to make sure it don't overflow, checking mails that get's in, deleting email ID's), IMSS, IWSS (boy this system is interesting), OfficeScan, AS400 (checking mimix, creating + disable id's, check system status), VMWARE Administrator (tivoli softwares), Tivoli Administrator, Sans Storage Administrator, Tivoli Admistrator, Line Monitoring, Technical Support, ISO, IPS Administrator and doing my own work. There are actually more for me to do, but then again there is not much training even though all the system's are there for us to use. We can't really simply disturb the system as if there is any error, we will be held responsible for our actions.

As you can see I have listed down so many task that I do, but the question is, where is my career path in the future? Who won't be confuse if there is so much to do but then again we are master of none? There is a level where all of us can really help each other or even learn up each other's work, but then again there should be a focus point / specialization in the job name that has been given to us. If I was at 28 years old and I am given so much task, I think I will surely leave the company as there is like no future for me even though I can learn a lot more. I believe in the end, we will really need to know what we really want in our live to really move on to the level that we will be most comfortable in

So where do you stand now? Where would you head? Think really hard as it is your future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home