Saturday, June 09, 2007

YES IT DID HAPPEN

Well the topic says it all. Today at 4pm when I was on my bed my friend Jing Kai called me, but I was too lazy to pick up the call. Then next was office number calling me. I knew it was something. Then Jing Kai asked me this, hey do you know about anything about automatic fallovers for the as400 system? Then I was like why ah? Is the as400 down? He then told me NTT had some power failure and the system went down. At that same time I was like oh crap, don't tell me I need to go back to office on my off day. Then I explain that the system will NOT FALL OVER and if the DR does take over nothing much can be done and no printing or etc can be done. Not only that, the DR doesn't really work as the data is not the same as the production. Not only that, you wont be able to find pc's ID on the DR.

I also know that once the as400 is down, there are some subsystems that is must be up MANUALLY. So means it is either we do it from our office and at the same time we need some people at our backup center. I then sms another friend to tell him to keep me posted on the latest status of the system. Now I guess some of you wonder why i decided to put this title. The reason was simple, some of our gang wanted the as400 to go down 1 day. Since today it went down, we were quite happy :P I guess you all might be wondering whats wrong with this boy? I am actually fine, but we really wanted to see what the impact is when the system is down. It also serve the company a good lesson to plan for a BCP. Since today it went down at around 4pm, all branches in the whole nation could not work for nearly 1 half hours. Even though we have a DR, the DR wont work and there are many things missing from the DR like print server and etc.

Actually my tree sis told me to switch off my hp as the system was nutty. I only saw the sms after my friend called me. But I cannot switch off the hp as I am 1 of the person in charge to do support for the system. Since the system went down, it also hit me that I still got a long way to go in learning the system. I might be good in troubleshooting, but I am don't really know the system by my finger tips. I guess it is a great wake up call for my company and also me to learn that we should not be comfortable at where we are but we always need to prepare for the worst.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother, actually I don't understand a word of what are you intending to say, UNTIL I saw my nick...yeah...i guess we are sold to the company after all..or as long as we are in the company.

It doesn't feel good to be called by the office during off day, huh...tell u frankly, u'll feel worst when you receive calls from your boss juz for minor matters tats non of your business...hmm...I've to say this again...'lau pan tai sai' (cantonese) which is translated into english is 'boss is boss!'

Gambate, brother...but u'll quite right...I'm kinda happy the system goes down though it causes lots of inconveniences...haha...and well down for your programmers and who ever they are who haven't anticipated this to happen...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

oh u dont faham ah?haha.that i knw since long time ago.it was all about hte as400 going down on sat ler.

but really i need to do support so it is a must to pickup calls lor.cannot run wan ler..

btw u say "lau pan tai sai"..i tot it was "boss very rude/action"

oh yeah the as400 down on sat was nothing got to do with the programmers but the datacenter as there was a power trip there..

yeah i knw there was once the system was down due to programmers intelligence.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home