Saturday, October 27, 2007

Wisdom In Solving Problems

Last couple of days, the place where I am working in had a lot of system problems thanks to my new AM called Steven Gan who loves to modify a lot of settings without thinking of the consequences that lies behind all these modification. After doing a lot of modification, most of the systems got screwed up. I will list down what got screwed up by my AM's superb work

  1. The company website cannot be access by external people, which allows people to check their usage.
  2. Email service for both inbound to outbound and outbound to inbound was down (3 day)
  3. Email service which was incoming had error and they manage to fix it (couple of days down)
  4. After fixing the outbound email to inbound, the inbound to outbound had problems (1 days down)
  5. Users cannot connect to the AS400 session due to modification of DNS for whole nation.
  6. Internet Access was down on Saturday for the whole Nation.

Well I didn't have to fix the website as that problem was not cause by me or my team. Actually none of the above was done by my team but my AM. Anyway the website was up once again after the vendor had to do some modification of the system. As for the email it took turns to crash. It was 1st the out to in where the email users cannot get any external email. It was due to some modification to the routing by my AM and the vendor. Anyway for that, they went to modify the DNS settings (number 5) which then cause the whole nation branches to get disconnected from the as400. For that issue the whole team (me, kieng weng, chin wei, adrian) had to go and troubleshoot for HQ and do phone support for the branches. It was really tiring as we have to walk up and down to do the troubleshooting.

I still remember that day was a Wednesday and I was really burn out and I had to go home early as I had CG that night and the best part was my AM complain that I went home early without helping him fix the problem. The question is, who mess the system? It ain't not me man. Anyway the outbound to inbound was fix by him but that was when he mess up with the inbound to out bound email. Since the vendor was there to fix the problem with him, I didn't bother to do anything else as I still had to troubleshoot for the as400 for the branches. On Thursday morning when I came in, I knew there was bound to be problems. I saw that all my testing email failed and I won't be the only 1 that will face the problem but the whole office + branch. I still remember when my HOD ask me and Franco to fix the problem but most of the time since the network team was talking to the vendor and I did ask them to let the vendor talk to me they didn't want to pass it over I decided to let them do all. The vendor promise to come in around 1130, but at 11am + I was too lazy to wait and I told the network team to let me do the modification. That was when derrick came out and assisted me and in 20minutes with full testing the email inbound to outbound was solve and I was so freaking happy. It was like a major thing that I achieve in the company. Even when the vendor came in after lunch, the vendor was shocked and he don't even know what changes I did and I had to brief the vendor. Even my HOD was not convince that I was the one who fix the email problem and not the vendor. Most people question if my work can be stable and I told them yes.

Anyway on Saturday my AM once again mess with the Internet for the whole nation and I had to fix it for him. The SOO told me what my AM ask them to do but all his steps fail. So when I asked them what they did, instant the wisdom came to teach me how to fix the problem. And in less than 1 minute the internet was up once again. So in 2days, I manage to cover my AM superb work that he did to mess up the systems. He is so brilliant that he dare to do all the testing in bright day light and not when there is no light. I guess what Mr Ng say is true, ask him to read back all the policy and procedures once again.

But deep down, the person who I want to thank who gave me the wisdom to solve the problem is God. Without him, or actually should I say, on Wednesday when I was having lunch, his wisdom poured down on me and I knew what to do, but since the vendor is there I decided to not do anything. To the rest of you who help me out, these are your names in a remembrance for that day.

  1. Derrick (email assistance)
  2. Adrian (those words of gratitude)
  3. Kieng Weng
  4. Calvin
  5. Chin Wei (smart person who told me to check with departments)
  6. Those who say kind words to me

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I think I'm pretty sure, you like your work very much, it's just the environment that you do not like, or more precisely, the person you're working with.

Anyway, good job for your success! and you do have the right to show off your talents sometimes... but please don't make it too often, coz that might show you're arrogant!!

:)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

yeah ur rite, the person that im working with sucks to the max ler.my HOD who don't appreciate, my am who create craps and i need to fix their crap.

yeah will try not to show off too much coz yeah i will get arrogant then hampak lor....hahaha :P

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home